The Fred Hutch Bioinformatics Interest Group (FHBig) was created in 2018 by a group of people who perform hands-on bioinformatics and data analysis at the Hutch or are interested in learning. The purpose of this group is to exchange knowledge, support each other and improve collaboration and innovation across different groups at the Hutch.
What we do
This group functions as a community organization group that facilitates:
- Monthly meetings where we hold lightning talks from members of the community, currently held on the first Thursday of the month at 1pm. Check our calendar for current events.
- Maintain a Slack workspace for ongoing conversation support. You can join with your fredhutch.org, UW or Sage Bionetworks email here.
- Host a blog to record and announce current and upcoming events.
- Organize and host Pop Up Workshops requested and lead by community members. Look on our calendar for events labeled “Pop Ups:” and see our Slack channel #co-working-polls to see upcoming groups or suggest your own.
- Maintain a Bioinformatics focused Google calendar of selected Fred Hutch events and relevant office hours or support resources.
- Support building of bioinformatics documentation via the FH Biomedical Data Science Wiki Project. Learn more about contributing at the Wiki CenterNet page and see the Wiki itself.
If you are affiliated with FredHutch, Sage Bionetwork, or UW and are interested in connecting with us, sharing your thoughts, giving or proposing a talk, please use any of the following to get involved:
Join the conversation on Slack: Join the FHBig Slack workspace.
Join the Mailing list: Join here, though communications are primarily via the Slack Workspace, we do send monthly meeting reminders and occasional notifications to email as well.
Join the FHBig Github team: Email your GitHub username to
SciComp to be added to the Fred Hutch GitHub institution.
Send suggestions for the Calendar: See an event that would be of interest to this community? Post your event on Slack in the #general channel OR email group admins Jenny Smith
jlsmith3 or Chao-Jen Wong
cwon2 at [fredhutch.org] to have it added to our Google Calendar.