The Coop is now accepting applications for our online computational training professional development awards! The intention of these awards are to provide Fred Hutch employees with access to training materials for reproducible computational methods, specifically for topics that aren’t currently offered through fredhutch.io.
For example, (an imaginary postdoc named) Reece has recently begun working with a research project involving an SQL database. Reece applies for a training grant for a three month Pro subscription to Code Academy so they can take the “Analyze data with SQL” course. This course is listed as taking six weeks, but some extra time is included as a buffer and to explore some of the associated skills (since the subscription provides access to all Code Academy Pro content). Three months of a Pro Code Academy subscription is expected to cost $120 (a monthly subscription is $39.99 per month, for three months).
Please fill out this form to submit your application, which will ask for the following information:
- About you: name, email, affiliation
- About the course: link to where it is located online, anticipated timeline and cost
The deadline for applications is noon on Tuesday, February 18. Please keep in mind the following guidelines:
- You must be a Fred Hutch employee to receive the award.
- The payment for the course or subscription must be completed between March 1 and June 30.
- Following the February 18 application deadline, the Coop Team will assess all applications and prioritize funding based on availability of equivalent resources at Fred Hutch and potential impact on current research. Awardees will be notified by February 25.
- If you’re not sure where to find a course, please see this list of course providers other folks at the Hutch have recommended.
- In return for funding your participation in the course, all we ask in return is a short (e.g., two paragraph) summary of the course. We hope this will provide useful information for your peers who may be interested in taking the course too!
Please contact coophelp at fredhutch.org with any questions.